Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Snow-bunny

T minus 2 days and we will be in the oh-so-beautiful city of Salt Lake City, Utah basking in the glory of v-a-c-a-t-i-o-n. We are going to be there for an entire week with Rob's family, and we are so pumped for time away and time with the fam. There will be... wait for it.... THIRTEEN people there total. His parents, his three siblings and their spouses, and three of his nieces and nephews. Oh, and us. I would give you the complete roster with names and ages but I think that is a bit too much. However, we have been counting down the days for months and months, and are super pumped that it's finally here.

I feel like I should share that I am not-so-much a "skier". I have been skiing a grand total of 3 times in my life. And snowboarding once. (But you can't really count the snowboarding because I spent the entire day on the bunny slopes. On my a$$. And then, I finished out the day with a good cry and my dad carrying me off the bunny slope.)

Back to the skiing. One time, in high school, I went on a church "ski trip". We went to Sugar Mountain, NC. It was 60 degrees outside and the man-made snow that covered the "mountain" resembled the ice crystals in a melting snow-cone. And we spend a grand total of 2 hours there. Let's just go ahead and say that making a "pizza slice" with your skis in NO way helps you to stop. So, I may or may not have accumulated a few bruises that day. And swore I would never do that again.

[For chronological sake, insert snowboard trip here]

Fast forward to 2007. Started dating Rob. He's been skiing pretty much since he was born. Okay, okay, since he was 3. He can't remember NOT being able to ski. When we started dating, there was a ski trip in the works to go to Snowshoe, WV with 2 other couples, the Hunters and the Wadlingtons. He invited me, I politely declined, and told him the above stories. He continued to invite me and as I like Rob more and more, and I got to be better friends with the Hunters and Wads, I decided that this was going to be a fun trip, with our without the skiing. It totally was. It took me a while to even remotely get the hang of it, but I did. Rob was a good and patient teacher. I may or may not have cried, thrown my ski poles at Rob, and gotten a volleyball sized bruise on my butt. But I left loving skiing (and loving the Wads and Hunters for life).

February 2009. Gladly accepted the invitation to join the Bauchiero parents for a week in pristine, beautiful Deer Valley, Utah. I let Rob come too:). The snow was powdery and perfect. I had gotten my perfect ski-bunny outfit for Christmas. We were staying right on the mountain. Conditions were perfect to say the least. And I officially fell in love with skiing.

Can't wait til Friday. Promise to take pictures.

1 comment:

  1. Waiting for an update :) Where are the pictures? I made your salsa today. It's typical for me at this phase in the game, call me and I'll give you an update ;0

    ReplyDelete