Monday, August 30, 2010

My Summer Vacation

By: Lara Bauchiero

Somehow, the summer has completely flown by. Throughout some of our visits with friends and family, I have been gently reminded at my utter neglect of the blog. It's true. Blogging is clearly not my spiritual gift. But I'm working on it, okay?

Although an essay about my summer seems appropriate, I feel like bullet points are the only way I can get through this. A small part of me wants to just forget trying to play catch-up since last time... But I know that all you faithful readers are just dying to know what the Bauchiero's have been up to this summer, and I truly hate to disappoint.

- We'll start with the topic you're all dying to hear about... The Pups. Ruby is doing fantastic. She is doing the same obedience training as Jake, and continues to amaze us at how smart she is. She just had her first birthday and she just love-love-loves Jake and wants to be wherever he is. Homegirl basically sleeps on top of him. Jake is just as sweet and happy as ever. We've boarded them several times this summer, and he is apparently so well behaved, he earned the nickname "The Dreamboat". Needless to say, Rob was proud and never ceases to remind Ruby (and me) who the #1 dog is around our house.

- There is no big summer vacation this year because I am saving every bit of my vacation time for our SOUTH AFRICA trip! (I traditionally don't like to internet-yell, but all caps were totally appropriate there). We have bought our plane tickets, and it's really going to happen. Me and Rob, Mom and Dad, Jaime and Eric, and Mitchell are all going to South Africa for two weeks next January. To say that we are excited would be an understatement... Stay tuned on that one.

- Despite the lack of a summer vacation, we have had some amazing weekend trips this summer. We spent a long, fantastic weekend in Northern California with Rob's family. We joined Rob's parents and all of his siblings in Walnut Creek, CA for his cousin John's wedding. It was so fun to get to hang out and get to know them all, and not be the bride! Don't get my wrong, I looooved my wedding. But this was just so fun and relaxing and I really felt like I was able to get to know people. After the wedding weekend, Gina, Stephen, Rob and I headed to San Francisco. We hung out in the city on Sunday night and headed out to Sonoma on Monday morning for a day of touring and wine tasting. Sighhhhh. It was SO wonderful. It was the perfect mini-vacay, made better by sweet time with family.

- Nashville has been the other destination of our summer weekend trips. We've been there a couple of times, very briefly, for whirlwind tours to see our favorite people. We never get enough time it seems to see everyone we'd like to see... But what a great problem to have. As much as we love Nashville and our people there, we always love flying back into Austin. It truly feels like home, and it has been such a great thing for us to be here...

- Speaking of Austin... This place is H-O-T, folks. No lie. And even though they say that this summer is mild compared to last summer, I still think its quite toasty. I have learned to do my running in the early mornings, and to spend my afternoons by the pool or lake. Our Austin weekends always involve doing something outside since it's pretty much sunny every day. We have tubed the river, and done some stand up paddleboarding as well. It truly is such a fun, outdoorsy city with so much to do. We are so thankful to have a fun, great crew of friends that we hang out with often. We have had guy/girl nights, movie nights, cook outs, camping trips, picnics, doggie play-dates, concerts,  pool days and lake days with these people. We are so lucky to have them, and they truly help this to feel like home.

- Our first anniversary is coming up! Can you believe that?? It's crazy that it has almost been a year... It's been a crazy, fun, fast, challenging, wonderful, adventurous year. And its just the beginning... I feel like I am always learning something new about myself, about Rob, about what it really looks like to love someone...

Alright, I think that's all for now, friends. I don't want to totally wear you out... This weekend we are going to the lake house for a 4 day weekend with the Bauchiero clan. SO fun! And, my parents get to come join the madness, which will make it a close to perfect weekend. Perfection would be my sibs (and Eric) being there, too.

As always, I promise to try to update more regularly with more pictures.

Hugs,
Lara

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Lara. I am a loyal reader. : ) - Katie B.

    ReplyDelete